What is 'minimum wage'?This is the minimum amount employers must pay workers within the province of Alberta.
What is Alberta's minimum wage?It is $8.80 per hour as of April 1, 2009.
Will the minimum wage be different for students and youth?No. The minimum wage is $8.80 per hour for students and youth.
Am I covered by the minimum wage law in Alberta?
The Alberta minimum wage laws cover all employees. Exemptions from the minimum wage include the following employees:
- real estate brokers
- securities sales persons
- insurance sales persons paid entirely by commission
- students engaged in a work experience program approved by the Minister of Learning or Minister of Human Resources and Employment
- students engaged in an off-campus education program provided under the School Act
- extras in a film or video production
- counsellors or instructors at an educational or recreational camp operated on a non-profit basis for children or handicapped individuals or for religious purposes and
- farm employees
What is the minimum wage for Domestic Employees?
A domestic employee is an employee who is employed to do domestic work and lives or lives primarily in the employer's home. A casual babysitter is not considered a domestic employee.
- An employee living in their employer's home is entitled to wages of at least $1,677 per month. An employer may deduct from the minimum wage $2.89 per meal the employee consumes and $3.82 for each day that the employer provides the employee with a place to stay. These charges can be adjusted for meals not consumed or for days where lodging is not provided.
- An employee not living in their employer's home is entitled to minimum wage of $8.80 per hour for all hours worked. An employer may make meal deductions not exceeding $2.89 per meal.
What is the minimum wage for some Sales Persons and Professional Employees?
A variety of salespersons and professional employees are currently entitled to at least the weekly minimum wage of $352.00 as of April 1, 2009.
Which legislation determines the minimum wage?
The Alberta Employment Standards and Employment Standards Regulation.