Other Langauge Home
General | Alta | BC | Man | NB | Nfld | NS | NWT | Nun | Ont | PEI | Que | Sask | Yuk | Federal
Making a Complaint


Making a Complaint

How do I file a complaint?

If you feel your boss has violated your rights under employment standards law, you can file a complaint in person, by letter, or by telephone. Contact the Employment Standards Officer in the Labour Services Office on the 3rd Floor of the Law Centre, 2130-2nd Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon or call (867) 667-5944 (toll free within the Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5944).

Are there time limits for filing a complaint?

A complaint must be filed at Labour Services within 6 months of the day wages should have been paid to you or the day the problem arose.

Can my identity be kept confidential?

You can ask that your identity be kept confidential. Your name will not be released unless it’s absolutely necessary.

What happens after I file my complaint?

An Employment Standards Officer will investigate the complaint and attempt to find an acceptable solution to both parties. If the problem can’t be solved at this stage, the officer may issue a certificate or court proceedings can be started. If you or your boss don’t agree with the determination of the officer, you can appeal to the Employment Standards Board in writing within 14 days after the date of the investigation decision.