Other Langauge Home
General | Alta | BC | Man | NB | Nfld | NS | NWT | Nun | Ont | PEI | Que | Sask | Yuk | Federal
Making a Complaint

Northwest Territories

Making a Complaint

How do I file a complaint?

If you feel your boss has violated your rights under employment standards law, you can file a complaint. To find out how to start the process, contact:

Employment Standards
Government of the Northwest Territories, Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
1st Floor Nova Plaza
5019-52nd Street
PO. Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2L9

Phone: (867) 873-7486
Toll free in the NWT: (888) 700-5707
Fax: (867) 873-0483

How long do I have to make a complaint?

A complaint may be made at any time within 12 months after the date on which the offense occurred.

Do I have to pay to make a complaint?

Employees cannot be charged for making or the investigation of a complaint.

Can my complaint be rejected?

The Employment Standards Officer may refuse to accept or investigate a complaint if:

  • the complaint is frivolous or vexatious
  • there is insufficient evidence to carry forward with the complaint
  • there are other means available to the employee to deal with the complaint, such as talking directly with the employer, before the complaint accepted by an Employment Standards Officer
  • the employee is dealing with the complaint in court, a tribunal or arbitrator, or adjudication

Can my identity be kept confidential?

Yes, you can request that your identity be withheld. It won't be disclosed unless the Employment Standards Board or Employment Standards Officer feel it is necessary for the purpose of a prosecution or is in the public interest.

For more information, please see the Northwest Territories Employment Standards Act